Friday, January 6, 2012

The 'Influence'

I came in contact with Shakespeare the same way that anyone does these days: through the Lion King.
Okay, so maybe that's a little cheeky, but when you consider the impact Disney has on the world today, it's hardly objectable. Of course, I had no idea that I was being EXPOSED to a Shakespearean concept until later--when the name Shakespeare no longer twisted my tongue and made me think of some crazy Indian dance--but hey, I was three.

I can't remember for certain when I was TAUGHT about the 'Great Bard', but I can remember my first experience of understanding it. Picture this: A fourteen-year-old young woman, blonde, innocent, and naive, playing Lady Macbeth. Not very intimidating. Now I tell you this: my final scene, shrieking at the unseen blood on my murderous hands, was enough to make grown men shudder and not-so-equally-innocent young women confess to repeated nightmares in peer-mediated counseling. Yeah, I learned to grasp that character really well.

But while acting always has been and always will be a major interest in my life, my fascination with Shakespeare has taken something of a shift. Because of his reputation as quite-possibly the most famous writer in history and of the world, Shakespeare's literature holds an intoxicating power over me. I want to dissect his style, disassemble his characters' inner workings, decipher his plot shifts. Because once I get to the bottom of  the Shakespeare 'essence', I can recreate into something even better. I want his power to become my power: I want my writing to be as timeless and confounding as any line from Hamlet. I want 'to be' the next Shakespeare.

2 comments:

  1. "Now I tell you this: my final scene, shrieking at the unseen blood on my murderous hands, was enough to make grown men shudder and not-so-equally-innocent young women confess to repeated nightmares in peer-mediated counseling. Yeah, I learned to grasp that character really well." - ha ha ha

    Do you still do acting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. I started acting at the age of three, when I played the alligator that all of the other little kids. Needless to say, I was bitten by the acting bug. Lady Macbeth was one of my favorite roles to play, beat out only by getting to be Prince John (the villian from Robin Hood). The co-directors liked me so much they picked me over the other ten ACTUAL males that auditioned. I'm currently a theatre minor here at BYU, focusing not only on acting but also costume design and playwrighting.

    P.S. Fun Fact: I've been in over 50 roles since that first alligator gig, and ALL of them have been the evil role. Not kidding.

    ReplyDelete